Silicone rubber is available in
hardness ranges from gels all the way up to 80 Shore A durometer,
durometer chart), in translucent and opaque colored versions.
flexibility at low temperatures; have low compression set; have
outstanding resistance to high heat, sunlight, oxidation, ozone
and exhibit good corona resistance. Most of our standard
silicones are temperature rated from -150º F to 650º F. Some of
our high performance silicones can operate in a continuous
environment from -150º F to 650º F with excursions to 850º F.
Silicones provide a non-stick surface for many processes. FDA
approved and class VI medical materials are available.
Properties of Silicones:
- Silicones are available in hardness
ranges from gels all the way up to 80 Shore A in translucent
and opaque colored versions.
- Silicones have the widest working
temperature range of elastomers. Typically -150 to +500° F.
- Silicones have low compression set.
- Silicones are suitable for outdoor
applications. They have outstanding resistance to sunlight,
oxidation and ozone.
- Some of our silicones can operate in a
continuous environment of -150º F to 850º F.
- Silicones are fungus resistant,
odorless, tasteless and non-toxic.
- Silicones are strong, resilient and
stretchable at temperatures where organic rubbers fail.
- Silicones are not compatible with many
organic substances; therefore provide better release
characteristics than any other rubber.
- Silicones retain good dielectric
strength even at elevated temperatures.
- Silicone rubber does not give off
toxic materials while burning.
- Silicone rubber absorbs energy over a
wide range of frequency and temperature for vibration
- Silicone rubber resists radiation
damage similar to other synthetic elastomers. However, at
high temperatures silicone rubber offers a combination of
thermal, oxidation, and radiation resistance not available
in any other elastomer. Some silicones will withstand
radiation dosages of 110 megarads at room temperature and 30
megarads at 400° F.
- Silicone rubber also exhibits good